St Francis Xavier’s Church Melaka
Malacca City Attractions0
A domineering presence in the skyline of Malacca, this twin-spired neo-gothic structure was built on the site of an old Portuguese church by a French priest, Father Farvé, in 1856, in honour of St. Francis Xavier, a prominent 16th-century Catholic missionary also known as ‘Apostle of the East’. Located on Jalan Laksamana, the church’s finishing touches were completed in 1859 by Father Allard, with the present-day presbytery built in 1874.
For quite some time, it became the largest church built by the MEP (Paris Foreign Missionary) in the Malay Peninsula. It was believed that the church was modelled after the Cathedral of St. Peter in Montpellier in Southern France, which closely followed the older church’s original construction, except for a portico which was added on in 1963.Read More
To this day, St Francis Xavier’s Church still serves its function as a Catholic church, with regular mass services being held from time to time. Having been around for more than a century, the church’s building now leans slightly to the left.
You May Also LikeRate This Place: ( votes)